MEMBERS OF THE INFORMATION AND DEMOCRACY COMMISSION
LIST OF MEMBERS OF THE COMMISSION
● Emily Bell: academic and journalist, professor of Professional Practice at the Columbia
University School of Journalism and director of the Tow Centre for Digital Journalism
● Yochai Benkler: author, professor at Harvard Law School and faculty co-director of the
Berkman-Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University (Israel, USA).
● Teng Biao: academic lawyer and human rights activist, visiting scholar at the U.S.-Asia
Law Institute, New York University (China).
● Nighat Dad: lawyer, Internet activist, and founder and executive director of the Digital
Rights Foundation (Pakistan).
● Primavera De Filippi: faculty associate at the Berkman-Klein Center for Internet &
Society at Harvard University and permanent researcher at the CERSA (Italy).
● Mireille Delmas-Marty: emeritus professor at Collège de France and member of the
Institut de France (France).
● Christophe Deloire: secretary-general of Reporters Without Borders (France) (joint
● Abdou Diouf: former President of the Republic of Senegal and former secretary-general
of the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF) (Senegal).
● Can Dündar: journalist, columnist and documentary filmmaker; and former editor-inchief
of the centre-left independent newspaper Cumhuriyet (Turkey).
● Shirin Ebadi: lawyer, former judge, human rights activist, founder of Defenders of
Human Rights Centre and 2003 Nobel peace laureate (Iran) (joint president).
● Francis Fukuyama: political scientist and political economist, professor at Stanford
University (United States).
● Ulrik Haagerup: journalist and founder and CEO of Constructive Institute (Denmark).
● Hauwa Ibrahim: human rights lawyer and 2005 laureate of the European Parliament's
Sakharov Prize (Nigeria).
● Ann Marie Lipinski: journalist, curator of the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at
Harvard University, winner of the Pulitzer Prize (USA).
● Adam Michnik: historian, journalist and essayist, editor-in-chief of Gazeta Wyborcza
● Eli Pariser: executive director at Upworthy, co-founder of Avaaz and chairman of
● Antoine Petit: head of the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS),
former President and CEO of the French Institute for Research in Computer Science and
Automation (INRIA) (France).
● Navi Pillay: jurist, former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and former
president of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (South Africa).
● Maria Ressa: journalist and CEO of the Rappler news website (Philippines).
● Amartya Sen: economist, philosopher and 1998 Nobel laureate in Economic Sciences
● Joseph E. Stiglitz: economist, 1998 Nobel laureate in Economic Sciences (United
● Mario Vargas Llosa: writer, politician, journalist, essayist, college professor and 2010
Nobel laureate in Literature (Peru).
● Marina Walker: journalist, deputy director of the International Consortium of
Investigative Journalists (USA) and John S. Knight fellow at Stanford University
● Aidan White: journalist, president and founder of the Ethical Journalism Network and
former general secretary of the International Federation of Journalists (UK).
● Mikhail Zygar: journalist, writer, founding editor-in-chief of the independent news TVchannel
Dozhd, 2014 laureate of the International Press Freedom Award, CPJ (Russia).
The role of rapporteur will be performed by Antoine Garapon, the secretary-general of the
Institut des Hautes études sur la Justice (IHEJ) and editor of the magazine Esprit. He will be
assisted by Emile Boutelier and Constant Méheut.
blog comments powered by Disqus